If consuming hot and cold food and/or beverages causes you to experience pain in your teeth, Marshall Family Dentistry can help give you the relief you need. Our knowledgeable dentist will get to the bottom of what is causing your sensitive teeth and provide you with an effective treatment plan.
Sensitive/painful teeth can stem from of a number of underlying dental problems. Some possible causes include:
- Worn tooth enamel from aggressive tooth brushing
- Tooth erosion due to consuming high amounts of highly acidic food and beverages
- Worn leaky fillings, tooth decay, or broken teeth that expose the dentin of your tooth
- Receding gums that leave your root surface exposed
- Nighttime teeth grinding
- Post-dental-treatment sensitivity. This is common but temporary, especially with procedures like teeth bleaching, fillings, and crowns.
After our dentist determines what is causing your sensitivity, he may suggest one of many treatment options. Treatment may be as simple as replacing a worn filling or fixing a cavity; however, if your sensitive teeth are caused by gum loss exposing root surfaces, Dr. Reid Marshall may suggest some form of periodontal treatment, which may include a gum graft.
To learn more about how to prevent and treat tooth sensitivity in Birmingham, Alabama, please contact our office at 205-853-4600.